OBJECTIVE: A position in which I can apply and develop my interests and experience with research, information organization, language, the law, and world events and history.
- Part-time Reference Assistant
San Francisco Law Library, San Francisco, Ca. (February 2017 to present)
- Providing circulation and legal reference services to the public.
- Temporary Law Librarian
Taylor & Associates, Albany, Ca. (September 2016 to present)
- Covering for librarian at mid-sized firm in San Francisco as needed.
Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, San Francisco, Ca. (August 2014 to August 2016; Assistant Librarian, August 2006 to August 2014)
- In large international law firm, had primary resonsibility for San Francisco and Silicon Valley offices (approx. 120 attorneys); answered reference questions and research requests using a variety of print resources and online databases; checked in and cataloged new materials, and handled billing, using Microsoft Access database; performed some legal assistant tasks involving document organization.
- Freelance Cataloger
(August 2006 to February 2011)
- Cataloged private collection of law books, from 17th to 20th centuries, for prominent attorney.
- Cataloging Intern (Library Assistant II)
The Bancroft Library, University of California at Berkeley, (January to September 2006)
- Cataloged pamphlets from the French Revolutionary era in local and national systems, using Anglo-American Cataloging Rules and Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Books, and performed subject classification using Library of Congress Subject Headings.
- Case Clerk
Bartko, Zankel, Tarrant & Miller, San Francisco, Ca. (February 2003 to April 2005)
- Organized and managed all documents for a group of complex litigation cases, including filings, document productions, and original records stored offsite, with a high degree of accuracy. Retrieved, copied, and assembled for documents for filings, depositions, etc., in response to attorney needs. Performed basic paralegal tasks, including document reviews for subject matter and privilege. Indexed documents in MS Word and Access. Supervised digitization of key documents and learned and implemented specially created database system (based on Filemaker Pro) for storing and retrieving them. Quickly learned new skills and computer programs as required for specific document management and manipulation tasks. Performed online research, e.g., for locating witnesses. Provided backup in firm law library.
- Library Assistant
Taylor and Associates, Albany, Ca. (December 2002 to February 2003 )
- Maintained law libraries for various firms in downtown Oakland. Ordered and processed new books and updates, handled statements and invoices, filing, shelving.
- Producer, Screenwriter, Co-Director
"Reservoir Jedi" (June 2002 to June 2004)
- Wrote, produced, and co-directed short independent parody film. Researched copyright issues involved.
- Knowledge Architect
ejemoni, inc. (now H5 Technologies), San Francisco, Ca. (November 2000 to May 2001)
- Varied duties in rapidly changing startup environment. Structured information for a database allowing computer relevance judgments on text documents. Set up and ran company intranet, helped write press releases, published company newsletter, built morale.
- Test Administrator and Evaluator
Johnson O’Connor Research Foundation, San Francisco, Ca. (June 1999 to November 2000)
- Administered a battery of tests to measure natural cognitive characteristics and acquired knowledge, then analyzed and interpreted the results to make educational and career recommendations in conferences with clients. Advised on the improvement of our tests and creation of new ones, informed the public about the mission and services of the Foundation, and maintained the research database using MS Access, Excel, and Word.
- Library Researcher
Advanced Information Consultants (AIC), Canton, Mich. (December 1998 to December 1999)
EBSCO Document Services (EBSCOdoc), Burlingame, Ca. (November 1994 to July 1998)
- Located journal articles and other materials in the UC Berkeley libraries for business and academic clients. Used understanding of technical literature, library catalogues, classification systems, and procedures to design and implement structures for organizing work more efficiently. Used understanding of communications technologies to facilitate transmission of information between the home office and the field. At AIC and for first two years with EBSCOdoc, worked alone, completely responsible for filling all orders. During rest of time with EBSCOdoc, worked with, and helped train and supervise, as many as five other researchers.
- Cashier/Usher/Concession Operator
Landmark's Shattuck Cinemas, Landmark's California Cinemas, Berkeley, Ca. (June 1992 to January 1995, June 2001 to January 2003)
- Performed all duties at multiplex cinema. Ran cash register under rush conditions. Explained and recommended film choices to patrons. Helped train new employees and maintain high standards of customer service.
- Bicycle Messenger
Studebaker's Local Express, Berkeley, Ca. (November 1993 to August 1994)
- Helped implement "free-call" dispatch system, by which messengers were empowered to make their own decisions about which jobs to take based on the information available to them, and to make arrangements for exchanging jobs with other messengers on a peer-to-peer basis, rather than depending on a centralized decision-maker.
ESS Inc., Fremont, Ca. (March 1993 to November 1993)
- Based on knowledge of phonetics, used special proprietary data compression software to analyze and code speech and sound effects for recording on computer chips.
- Teacher, Latin and Social Studies
The Academy, Berkeley, Ca. (September 1992 to June 1993)
- Taught principles of Latin grammar and vocabulary to middle school students, including the analysis of sentences into parts of speech, the logical process of translation, and the etymological principles linking Latin and modern English words. Explained historical processes as sequences of causes and effects, with emphasis on the links and parallels among diverse cultures.
- Teacher, Latin, French, and English
St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School, Alexandria, Va. (June 1990 to June 1992)
- Emphasized the structures of Latin sentences and inflections. Created study guides to reduce the amount of rote memorization through understanding of patterns and rules. Organized and trained students for interscholastic competitions and events. Taught remedial English with emphasis on essay structure. Worked with other foreign language teachers to formulate departmental standards and policies.
- San José State University, School of Library and Information Science
- Master's of Library and Information Science, December 2006
- City College of San Francisco
- Spring 2004: Introduction to Legal Writing
- Fall 2003: Introduction to Legal Assisting
- Peralta Community Colleges, Berkeley and Oakland, Ca.
- Fall 2005: Beginning Conversational Spanish (continuation)
- Summer 2005: Beginning Conversational Spanish
- Spring 2003: Java Programming
- Fall 1998: Computer-related Mathematics, C Programming, Introduction to Statistics
- UC Berkeley Extension
- Fall 2000: Editorial Workshop I: Introduction to Copyediting
- Spring 1998: Introduction to Forensic Sciences
- UC Berkeley Summer School
- 1992: Intensive Ancient Greek
- Harvard University
- Cambridge, Mass., 1989, B.A. with Honors, Linguistics (with Classics)
----- Specialized in historical linguistics, relationships of words and languages in family trees, and etymological processes. Classes in French, Russian, German, Latin, Greek, Anglo-Saxon, Church Slavonic. Wrote senior thesis on puns, linguistic ambiguity, and sound and sense associations. Created organizational and classificational schema for puns reflecting accepted divisions of the field of linguistics.
- California Notary Public
- \Proficient in French; intermediate Russian, German, Spanish; Latin (used to teach); Ancient Greek; currently studying Portuguese and Hebrew
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, also Access, Explorer, Powerpoint, Filemaker Pro, HTML; some C and Java; Video Studio and Movie Maker
REFERENCES: Available on request